Thursday, June 16, 2011

Wilton Class #2 -- SpongeBob Birthday Cake!

Okay so because I jumped the gun and made my cake in advance, I didn't want to do the same cake in class. So what I decided to do was make a cake for my little nephew Andrew's birthday. He was turning the big 5, which is my favorite number. For his birthday my family was taking him to Disneyland. WARNING: It is ridiculously expensive to go to Disneyland. Due to the high ticket prices and my low cash flow I decide my gift would be his birthday cake.


In class, after being lectured about having our piping bags prepared before class, we frosted our cakes that we prepared at home. I was slightly scolded for not have an angled spatula to ice my cake. Hey what can I say, I learning on a budget. I can't seem to find a angled spatula for under $8 anywhere. The instructor is right, it does make a lot of difference using the angled spatula (keeps your fingers out of your frosting). I'll just have to be extra careful in the meantime.We also spent a lot of time practicing what we learned the week before; pressure control.

My class is very entertaining. You should see the array of personalities in my class. There is always that one person in every class you wonder, "Why are they taking this class?" My class has one of each; the over and under achiever.  My two favs are a Jamaican lady and her daughter; who happens to be the same age as me. She doesn't know it yet but I'm going to invite myself over to pick her Caribbean brain. I love Caribbean cuisines, I call myself trying to learn it.






















The class all made wonderful birthday cakes. I made a cake with Spongebob Square Pants' face on it. I made the pattern myself. I, pretty much, did all stars for everything.My nephew loves Spongebob, and has a little gap like him too. Simply awesome is what it is!

My uncle John was having a birthday so I made him a cake too to get some more practice. I obviously need some practice on my lettering skills; HAPPY BIRTHDAY. LOL. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the strawberry filling I made for the middle of this cake. (pooty lip).

I'm having a lot of fun learning and practicing these skills. I also want to say how much I respect my instructor. She is very knowledgeable and takes this course seriously. I appreciate that because it makes me want to learn that much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment