Friday, June 10, 2011

Wilton Decorating Basics Class #1

Oh joy! The day has finally arrived, my first cake decorating class. I was so excited to get my handles dirty in is buttercream. That was pretty much all we did actually. The instructor taught use the Wilton Buttercream recipe. We also learned the 3 keys to cake decorating: pressure control, icing consistency, and bag positioning. We practiced this on our flat cookies that we brought with us. I made some chocolate cookies. Many of the other ladies brought store bought, but I had to make mine because I wanted to practice my baking skills.


The majority of the first class spent learning about the many different products that Wilton had to offer us on our journey to becoming cake decorators. LOL. We observed the instructor as she made the Wilton Buttercream and taught about the different consistencies of icing and how they are to be used.




By the end of the class I was eager to rush home and start making cakes. The last ten minutes or so the instructor went over what to bring and what we'd learn in the next class. Also within that ten minutes she leveled, filled, iced and decorated the cake that you see below.


















I was so inspired by her speed and skill that I was determined to practice and recreate the cake before the next week's class. I couldn't help myself, I'm a little competitive and I had to make sure my cake was on point when I decorate my cake in class for the instructor.

What do you think? Pretty good, if I do say so myself. My first decorated cake.


One thing I will say, is that the buttercream I made at home looks nothing like the kind in the store bought container; however, I found that it did taste better although a little greasy. I like the idea of making my own buttercream, I can control how sweet I want it. I plan to work on my own buttercream recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment