Monday, May 16, 2011

Sock-It To-Me Cake





I have a plan set out to learn how to make southern desserts. My goal to learn and perfect the traditional treats that I have grown up with and have heard requested for many a family function, so that I may one day have a business of my own and share these dirty south desserts with my South Los Angeles community. Cooking is just one of many ways I channel my creative energy, and it has proven to be the most rewarding.
To mange myself and my spending I plan to focus on my dessert per week. I will research and study the history behind the dessert so that I have a historical understanding of what I'm learning.

This past week was Red Velvet Cake. However, I was so eager to make it that I didn't realize I was missing vital ingredients; buttermilk, distilled vinegar, and food coloring.While discussing my my dilemma with my "go to gal," my grandmother, she suggested that I make Sock-it To-Me Cake. Remember y'all, I said I wanted to learn the history behind every southern indulgence, so I had to implore my grandmother as to what Sock-it To-Me Cake was. The second she told me it was similar to a coffee cake, I was stoked about making it. I love coffee and one thing I enjoy with my black coffee is a light semi-sweet pastry to accompany it. It was really hard to find any historical information on this cake, so instead I will simply reflect upon my experience preparing it.

Sock-it To-Me Cake is a moist yellow cake with a cinnamon streusel filled center and wildly apply glaze on the top. I had already had a great yellow cake recipe and everything else I had readily available. The filling was a simple combination of brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and optional nuts, all blended together and spread in between two layers of yellow cake batter.

(SIDE NOTE) I HATE BUNDT PANS! They are the devil's minions. I'm just joking, but they have proven to be my one of my most hated pieces of bakeware to use. Greasing a bundt pan is the worst, especially the ones with the designs. My grandmother has taught me to wait no longer than about 10-15 minutes to flip a cake out of a bundt pan, and to insert a knife if the cake is being stubborn. I, once again, had a problem with thoroughly greasing my pan and the cake  broke a little bite. Luckily, I was able to place the broken piece so that when I drizzled the glaze you couldn't see it in the picture.

This cake could easily be converted into a cupcake or cake ball, which I plan to try....Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment