Friday, May 6, 2011

My PawPaw

My PawPaw by The Protean Libran
My PawPaw, a photo by The Protean Libran on Flickr.
"I'm a hog fa ya, Nellie," my pawpaw says to me every time I see him. He is pretty much an older, male version of me. Could be because we share the same sign. My pawpaw is the toughest cookie in the bag. Oh yes, don't let the smile fool ya. This old man is no joke. Blunt is understatement, and he will rip you a new one first chance he gets. Growing up, he and my father never got along and he hates him to this very day. I wouldn't blame him. My father still isn't in my life. My pawpaw has always been that male figure for me. He spoils me like rancid meat.

Now as you see he is on a ventilator and he has trache. Unfortunately, his healthy has never been a huge priority, becoming worse once he retired as a Heavy Equipment Operator for DWP . He is truly a foodie, that's for sure. Watching him and his health deteriorate has been the most painful thing I've had to endure in my life. I've never lost anyone close to me before. I almost lost my mother, but I'll save that for another blog (maybe). Watching him as also taught me a shit load about being healthy. It has also taught me to appreciate the smallest things this big world has to offer, like being able to care for yourself physically and being able to go outside. Not being able to get around has also taken a toll on his psychology health. I can bet a lot of you are thinking, "why didn't he diet" or "why don't you do something to help him." Somethings just aren't that easily fixed; people aren't that easily fixed.  

When I was a little he would tell EVERYONE that I was HIS baby, even my mama. I am, to this day, his only granddaughter. I'm holding it down! I inherited his addictive, aggressive, and argumentative personality. That's okay, however. My pawpaw is the spark for most of my hobbies and passions. My first SLR was his vintage Nikon and my love for cooking comes from many a conversation about food. We both love gardening and working with our hands, and we both love exploring and leaning new things. It could be genetics. It could be because we're both Libras. One thing that I do know is that I'm a hog for him, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment